Python 3 for k5test.py

Robbie Harwood rharwood at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 12:04:56 EDT 2018

Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> writes:

> I am thinking now might be the right time to move to Python 2 to
> Python 3 for the Python test suite.  This is based on:
>
> * Per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes, Ubuntu 18.04
>   doesn't install Python 2 by default, and implies that 20.04 won't
>   include Python 2 in main.  (I would guess it might continue to be
>   available in universe.)
>
> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FinalizingFedoraSwitchtoPython3
>   anticipates an update to PEP 394 recommending that /usr/bin/python be
>   Python 3, and talks about maybe getting rid of Python 2 in a few
>   years.
>
> Right now the test suite requires Python 2.5, which was released
> roughly three years before Python 3.0.  My thought is that if someone
> is building MIT krb5 on a system too old to offer Python 3, they are
> probably building multiple newer versions of software packages, and
> adding Python 3 to that set isn't a huge burden.  Or they can just not
> run the test suite.  But if someone has a need to build and modify
> krb5 1.17 on a post-2020 operating system which doesn't conveniently
> offer Python 2, having to build Python 2 just for our test suite could
> be more of a burden.  Of course that might also happen for 1.16 and
> prior, but we can't reasonably do anything about that.
>
> I prototyped the work required back in February, and it isn't a lot:
> https://github.com/greghudson/krb5/commits/python3
>
> If we don't make this change now, I will at least make configure.in
> look for "python2" in the path in preference to "python", and to skip
> the Python tests if the interpreter we do find has sys.hexversion >=
> 0x3000000.

I would appreciate this.  Fedora already generates warnings [1] for
assuming /usr/bin/python is python2 in shebangs (they want explicit
/usr/bin/python2 or /usr/bin/python2), and currently is planning to drop
python2 at or before 2020 as far as I know.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/artifacts/all/83108d26-47f0-11e8-afb2-525400fc9f92/tests.yml/output.log