LMDB KDB module design notes

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Thu Apr 12 12:34:08 EDT 2018

On 04/12/2018 11:56 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
>> Transactions are per-environment, so if we use one database file and a
>> write transaction for loads, loads would block the KDC.  That's worse
>> than what we have with DB2.
>>
>> Alternatively we could load into a temporary database file and rename it
>> into place like we do with DB2.  But we would then have to close and
>> reopen the database between operations like we do with DB2, or somehow
>> signal processes that have the database open to reopen it after a load
>> completes.
>
> How common are loads ?

That's hard to predict, but for a large database, having the KDC block
for the lifetime of a load operation seems like a pretty noticeable problem.

> As far as I know LMDB will let you keep reading during a transaction, so
> the KDC would block only if there are write operations, but won't block
> in general, right ?

Yes.

> The only write operations are on AS requests, when lockout are enabled
> and when that triggers a change in the lockout fields. How common is that ?

By default, every successful AS request on a principal requiring preauth
updates the last_success timestamp.  If disable_last_success is set (but
disable_lockout is not), only failed AS requests would cause a KDC write.

> Would that something that can be mitigated by deferring those writes during
> transactions ?

I don't see a way in LMDB to check for a write transaction, or begin a
write transaction without blocking.  Queueing those writes to be
performed later would also add a lot of complexity.