krb5 commit: Modernize UTF-8/UCS-2 conversion code

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Apr 18 11:49:43 EDT 2017

On 04/18/2017 04:32 AM, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> Ok, "Modernize UTF-8/UCS-2 conversion code" indicated a more or less
> rewrite of the code to me. As it's not you may just ignore this topic
> for now.

Yeah, in this case "Modernize" referred to coding standards, not
functionality.  We're not always consistent about that (e.g. a recent
commit "Modernize UTF-8 conversions" was about the maximum Unicode code
point), but we can't always be perfectly clear in the summary line as we
need to keep it short.

I have written up UTF-16 support for these conversion functions, but
we'll need test cases in order to be confident that they work.  Do you
or anyone else know of a body of test cases that I might crib from?

> I think Windows always supported UTF-16 instead of USC-2, at least it
> did for the last 10 years (at least for passwords).

Wikipedia thinks it added UTF-16 support in Windows 2000, so yeah, quite
some time.

> The core of the problem [...]

Thanks for that explanation.