Kerberos transport DNS record design

Brandon Allbery ballbery at sinenomine.net
Fri May 27 14:08:24 EDT 2016

None of the backends provides a guarantee that all slaves are updated; in fact it is very likely (but not a guarantee) that *no* slave has been updated at that point, regardless of backend. LDAP and Heimdal's iprop would be fastest to update afterward, depending on configuration, and most probably LDAP can be tuned to minimize the time: LDAP does not rely on relatively long delays (measured in minutes instead of seconds) to validate lock-free update semantics, as the KDC-based replications do.

Otherwise, you do make good points about continued utility of the fallback in edge cases.