Kerberos transport DNS record design

Brandon Allbery ballbery at sinenomine.net
Thu May 26 13:25:19 EDT 2016

As someone with admin experience with both MIT and (older versions of) Heimdal:

- MIT's propagation mechanisms are somewhat limited; either you do bulk propagation at set times, which leads to changes between those times not being seen in a timely fashion on the slave KDCs, or you can use incremental propagation which only works reliably with a relatively low change rate and is prone to stalling and eventually failure as the change rate increases.

- It took Heimdal quite a while to get its incremental propagation (iprop) to be reliable, but in reasonably recent versions iprop does not have the stability issues under moderate to high change rates that MIT's kiprop has. As such, iprop makes master KDC fallback unnecessary in most cases.

- For either one, using LDAP backend with its replication facilities makes fallback unnecessary.