C99 Features

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Jun 17 19:15:54 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 03:27:40PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> FTR, I was not suggesting we should ignore failures. We shouldn't. I
> only meant that on many platforms such handling is not likely to catch
> an actual OOM condition.

A segfault ia very different from "undefined behavior"...

I suppose a C run-time could check that VLA and alloca() allocations
don't blow past hard limits on stack size, but I suspect none does: an
ABI would have to be defined for performing that check, and doing so no
slower than a thread-local access.

It sure would be nice if such an ABI existed, and the run-times used it.
But it couldn't really be required for implementations.

Nico