Proposal for using NAPTR/URI records

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 16:43:31 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-27 at 16:17 -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Nico Williams wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > My preference would be to implement the URI protocol, but not
> > > enable querying for it by default in 1.14, add a tunable in
> > > [libdefaults ] called something like dns_uri_lookup_kdc =
> > > false|true|only and set it to false by default, change it to
> > > true later on ? (let downstream change the default if they so
> > > desire)
> >
> > Yes, this.  Eventually this should be enabled by default.  We can
> > give sites a couple of years to move to URI RRs instead of SRV RRs.
>
> That seems a reasonable and realistic way to effect such a
> tranasition, yes.

I agree that this seems like the best solution.

However, the devil is in the details. What do you mean by "the URI
protocol"? Does this include TCP and UDP expressed as URIs? Does URI
take precedence to SRV when enabled?

Does enablement/disablement need to be a configuration option? Or is a
build option sufficient? I'd hate to create a permanent option for a
temporary purpose.

Nathaniel