Proposal for using NAPTR/URI records

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 13:07:17 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 12:41 -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On 02/26/2015 11:53 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> > > 1. Additional latency for a protocol which nobody is (yet) using.
> > Oh no! This reminds me DNS-milisecond-wars we have with web
> > browsers (DANE/TLSA) which then spend seconds executing Flash or
> > Javascript ...
>
> I'll me speak directly so Nathaniel doesn't have to interpret my
> statements.
>
> I would expect trouble if 1.14 came out and, by default, every
> Kerberos realm discovery started doing a failed URI lookup and a
> successful pair of SRV lookups, when previously only the pair of
> successful SRV lookups was required.  That trouble might take the
> form of slightly increased latency multiplied over many realm
> discoveries, or greatly increased latency because the URI lookup
> times out.

My main concern for not finding this compelling is that if the realm
has SRV records it means the realm owners have (at least some)
influence over DNS. Given that assumption, if the failed URI lookup is
problematic, they can just replace the SRV records with a URI record
since they have influence over DNS.

This is overall a win for them anyway, since they have replaced two
SRV record queries with one URI record query. So if performance is so
critical to them that adding one failed lookup is a problem, they
should be happy to make a small change and cut their number of queries
in half (2 SRV => 1 URI).

My preference at this point is to just use one URI record named
_kerberos.$REALM and make it the default (deprecating SRV).