Multi-round trip extension

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 08:39:38 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 21:46 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 16:49 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> >> It'd be nice if the AP / mech protocol could recover from various
> >> failures by doing one more round-trip, such as:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> Discovering HTTP/Negotiate apps that can't deal with more than one
> >> round trip will. be. fun.  We may have to exempt the HTTP service in
> >> some cases.
> >
> > In my experience most will fail, either in the client or in the server,
> > as you need connection bound state in the server (or complicated session
> > management even before authentication is completed).
>
> That's about what I expect.  HTTP/1.x is simply not compatible with
> any authentication method that requires connection state.

Well, it depends, my mod_auth_gssapi supports keeping auth tied to a
connection, and both Internet Explorer and Firefox oblige and keep the
whole exchange on the same connection. In fact NTLMSSP authentication (2
full roundtrips) works in this mode.

> We could add encrypted exported security contexts[*] to HTTP/Negotiate
> to make it separate GSS state from the connection.  But that's a lot
> easier said than done: there are a great many
> libraries/servlets/plugins/modules/... that would have to be fixed to
> make that work.

It is not too hard to set a cookie and keep state (export partially
established context and store it in some local cache) in the server
either, though sending the state to the client might make it work across
balancing servers that do not keep a client connected to the same server
between any 2 exchanges, not sure it is worth dealing with those cases
though. I haven't yet fully investigated the case of proxies.

> Still, suppose a client fails to connect the first time because of
> KRB_AP_ERR_BADKEYVER or some such, and then the initiator mechanism
> deletes the old service ticket from the ccache as a result.  The app
> might fail when presented with GSS_S_CONTINUE_NEEDED, but at least
> recovery won't require running kinit!  The user might have to restart
> the app, but not run kinit first.  That's still a major improvement!
>
> [*] Technically this is not supported for partially established
> contexts, but there's no reason it couldn't be.  Even where it isn't,
> a bit of IPC and a small integer index into a table of contexts should
> suffice.

In MIT code exporting partially established context works in recent
versions.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York