principal name containing domain

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 16 23:09:27 EDT 2014

I am very confused about what the ultimate goal of this process.

There is a common idiom to have what are called "host-based service
principals" (e.g., imap/imap.exchange.mit.edu at EXCHANGE.MIT.EDU), and
handling the corresponding DNS resolution of the hostname, etc..

The above principal name is a name with two "components", separated by the
forward slash '/' for the text representation.  In many data structures,
the '/' is not present, and the components are represented as (e.g.)
separate C strings.

I do not think there is any convention at all involving the use of
backward slashes '\' in principal names.  I am very surprised to see an
attempt to use them, and very not surprised that aspects of attempting to
use them are not working as expected.

-Ben Kaduk