Make error messages more useful: add a URI

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Oct 6 12:17:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at mit.edu> wrote:
> Maybe I should let Nico answer for himself, but

I'll be traveling the next few days, but I can answer right now.

> On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Roland Mainz wrote:
>> BTW: Three nits:
>> 1. Some error messages carry additional information, like an errno message. How can we integrate this ?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is included in the "%E".

Correct.

>> 2. How can we carry over the value of LC_MESSAGES (or better: The result of LANG/LC_MESSAGES/LC_ALL, e.g. $ printf '%s\n' "${LC_ALL:-${LC_MESSAGES:-${LANG:-"C"}}}" # in a POSIX shell) ?
>
> I suspect this is hard to do in a concise manner, so may not end up
> getting done.

The wrapper message could be localized, and if all you want is to add
a URI then no localization would be required.

Finally, this would be for site-local uses.  At many sites
localization is not required.

>> 3. What about intranets with no connection to the outside "world" ?
>
> The proposed file:/// URLs would still work.

As well as http/https URIs pointing to servers within the intranet.
This would be fully under the control of the config file author.

Nico