[kitten] Token Preauth for Kerberos

Zheng, Kai kai.zheng at intel.com
Tue Jul 8 08:10:00 EDT 2014

Hi Simo,

I apologize for the very late response.

>> I think AD data can be added with s4u2self/s4u2proxy as well, what other modifications do you have in mind ?
Yes I agree. Adding AD data like AD_TOKEN won't be an issue if we could enhance S4U to support token adding something like PA_S4U_TOKEN
in lieu with PA_FOR_USER and PA_S4U_X509_USER. :)
I might be just repeating what I have said already, why I would prefer to do it in pre-authentication framework:
1. Token can be used in AS-REQ/AS-REP exchange via token-preauth mechanism to acquire a TGT, making kinit tool support that is easy.
S4U works in TGS-REQ/TGS-REP exchange to acquire service ticket, which involves corresponding GSSAPI support for applications to make use of it.
2. In token-preauth approach, we can also achieve the effect of S4U in some degree. Web server accepting token submitted by browser page form,
doing Kerberos login stuff via token-preauth, then performing GSSAPI/SASL negotiation with backend service, works great.

>> Do you have a standardized AD element in mind, or are you going to define a new one ?
How about having a new one like AD-TOKEN that contains the token derivation. It can encapsulated into AD-KDC-ISSUED, with checksum. The thinking
would be, KDC validates incoming token and determines to issue ticket, by escaping any encryption/signature layers of the token, gets the token derivation,
and put it into the issued ticket. As such it's natural to wrap the new AD data into AD-KDC-ISSUED.

Thanks for thinking about this.

Regards,
Kai