duplicate kdc settings in krb5.conf

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 10 11:21:01 EST 2014

On 02/10/2014 03:01 AM, Wang Weijun wrote:
> Why is it designed this way? Shouldn't the latecomer override the old one? Or, nobody should ever write this (or these) files so this is just a "undefined" behavior?

The profile library is designed so that keys can have multiple values.
In your example, {realms, D1.LOCAL, kdc} has two values, kdc2 and kdc1,
and those will be contacted in order.

For most keys like allow_weak_crypto or kdc_timesync, only one value
will be used.  Usually the first definition wins, *unless* the value was
retrieved through libkadm5, in which case the last definition
wins--presumably because whoever wrote that library thought, as you did,
that latecomers should be able to override earlier definitions.  But the
inconsistent application of this principle renders it more of a design
annoyance than a useful feature.  And of course, even if we always used
the last value for single-valued keys, that wouldn't provide a way to
override the values of multi-valued keys like "kdc".

For administrators and users, the best practice in the face of this
inconsistency is not to assume any kind of override functionality in the
profile library, and only specify values for a particular key in one place.