How to find out bitness of gss library?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Fri Nov 22 15:53:59 EST 2013

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
> Russ Allbery <eagle at eyrie.org> writes:
>> Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> writes:

>>> I think it'd be best to assume that the shared objects are installed
>>> for all the architectures that the host can run, if they are installed
>>> at all.

>> I don't think that's a very good assumption.  I don't know of any Linux
>> distribution whose packaging system works this way, for example.
>> x86_64 systems generally have only the x86_64 binaries installed, and
>> x86

> Um, my x86_64 system has both 32- and 64-bit versions of some libraries,
> but certainly not all of them.  (It does have the 64-bit version of all
> libraries).  Did you swap 32 and 64 in your statement above?

I think we're agreeing with each other.  My 64-bit systems have 64-bit
versions of all the libraries they use installed, but only some 32-bit
versions.  Hence, I was disagreeing with Nico's statement that "it's best
to assume that the shared objects are installed for all the architectures
the host can run."  My experience is that they're normally only installed
for the *primary* architecture, and then *some* libraries are available
for secondary architectures, but not all.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>