Question related to keytab entries upgrade

Matthieu Hautreux matthieu.hautreux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:20:49 EST 2013

Dear all,

after some work and evaluation, you will find enclosed a set of patches
against the main branch of MIT krb5 to add the support for client side
principals hot-rekeying removing the race window discussed in this thread.

I have also included a document explaining the logic and the reasons of
this addition.

To sum up the document, the patches add 2 new sub-commands, one in ktutil
(ukt), the other in kadmin[.local] (ktsync).

ktutil/ukt helps to upgrade the entries of a keytab while kadmin/ktsync
helps to synchronize the KDC entries associated with a principal using an
upgraded keytab. This 2 new commands enable to asynchroneously rekey
kerberos principals without introducing a potential race window where
clients could be denied access to a kerberized service while this one is
rekeying (example of usage in the enclosed notes).

Let me know if you find that feature interesting enough for an inclusion in
the main branch and/or if you want me to refine the logic or correct some
code or coding style.

I have backported patches for CentOS-6.{0,3} too (krb5-1.8 and 1.9). If
someone is interested in that, let me know.

Best regards,
Matthieu