threads and contexts and allocations and frees

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 17 17:08:18 EDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 04:49 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> IIRC, this sort of thing can cause problems on Windows due to the way that
> the allocators work (although possibly doesn't at the moment depending on
> how the code is structured).

On Windows, you want malloc() and free() calls to be made from the same
compiled code unit, because the allocator memory layout depends on
compilation flags (as I understand it).  But that's not what "this sort
of thing" is.  I don't think Chris Hecker is proposing to mix
library-malloc with application-free or vice versa.

Our library does not make use of the krb5_context parameters in
krb5_free_* functions.  We could some day make use of the context
parameters, but it wouldn't be in a way which would break the ability to
allocate in one context and free in another.  Way too much code,
including our own GSSAPI library, depends on the ability to do that.