threads and contexts and allocations and frees

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Tue Apr 16 20:45:24 EDT 2013

As I've discussed here (and on kerberos@) before, I run most of my
interactions with the KDC in a worker thread so I don't ever block the
main thread.  Both threads have their own contexts, and I'm careful not
to access krb5 objects at the same time from two threads.  However, I
just realized I'm being a little sloppy with some krb5 object
allocations.  For example, if the creds are cached, I'll call
krb5_get_credentials on the main thread, with KRB5_GC_CACHED and the
creds structure.  However, if the creds aren't cached or are invalid,
I'll call krb5_get_credentials on the worker thread to talk to the KDC,
and it'll allocate the creds structure and send it back to the main
thread.  On shutdown, I usually call krb5_free_creds on the main thread,
regardless of which thread+context was used when allocating the creds.

How bad is this?  I could store the worker thread version of the creds,
then copy them on the main thread, then delete them back on the worker
thread, but yuck.  A cursory glance at the code shows it probably
doesn't matter, but want to be sure.

Chris