What Should I Push On?

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue May 15 10:14:03 EDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 8:21 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I've been holding off on adding to this thread until I could be more definitive, but here's a progress report:
>
> First, the immediate cause of the memory allocation error was that I was feeding a .der file instead of .pem file to kerberos as an anchor.  Since that's documented, it qualifies as a user error.
>
> Second, getting the "no anchors in file" error to print requires building a version with -DDEBUG, not merely setting KRB5_TRACE.  Doing that build (at least on MacOS 10.6) required 4-5 minor patches.
>
> Third, "retrying with TCP" did not work (with a Heimdal 1.2 server anyway).  Forcing TCP to begin with was sufficient to get MIT kinit to work with a file-based X.509 credential.  This may not be MITs fault since Heimdal kinit degrades severely with UDP when scaling up the load to multiple client machines with multiple clients/machine.  Messages larger than a single UDP packet are probably a contributing factor, but I have not verified this.  Since forcing TCP might be a good idea anyway, it will be a while before I get back to this issue.
>
> So, like I said, that gets things working with a file-based credential.
>
> Fourth, as Doug said, there are multiple coolkey-1.1.0-19.el6.src.rpm's out there.  After some hunting, the one he posted the patch for is:
>
> http://koji.thewebwillow.com/kojifiles/packages/coolkey/1.1.0/19.el6/src/coolkey-1.1.0-19.el6.src.rpm
>
> The MD5 matches.  It contains a "coolkey-piv.patch" file.  And the source file he's patching actually matches up with his diff after you apply all the patches in the SRPM.  However I don't think this is a real "el6" SRPM.  As rank speculation, it might be based off of the coolkey fork on software.forge.mil.  I don't have access to that, and I don't know if I can get it either.
>
> I will definitely be trying out that SRPM (and Doug's patch) as soon as I get a few other fires put out.

Upon downloading the http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/scientific-linux/6/SRPMS/vendor/coolkey-1.1.0-19.el6.src.rpm
with MD5:543e8a93f674ee402558c9494abae865

Ran on Ubuntu: alien -g coolkey-1.1.0-19.el6.src.rpm
to get the source, and patches. The base coolkey-1.1.0.tar.gz and all the patches
are the same. So the differences must be in the creation of the rpm, so my patch
should not need changing.