Project review: response sets

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jul 13 18:45:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:
> Who is going to interact with the connected OTP token or a token
> embedded into the hardware like TPM?
> Do you expect it to be the code under the Kerberos library?

Yes.  That's what Solaris' pam_krb5 does, for example.  It prompts the
user for which token to use and then for the PIN for it (well, the
application does the prompting, pam_krb5 just drives it).  But then it
passes the result to the library through krb5_get_init_creds options.

> Those interactions are usually hardware and vendor specific.
> I do not think we want to embed it into the Kerberos library.

For smartcards, TPMs, and other PK tokens I very much expect libkrb5
to do this.  I especially expect the app to NOT do it.

I'm not sure about OTPs though.  I'm open to the possibility that
there's no other way but to have the app talk to the OTP tokens.  But
so far I don't see why.

> It is perfect opportunity to offset it to intermediary like SSSD or
> similar software for other platforms.

Well, I can see that SSSD might want to tell libkrb5/whatever plugin
what PKCS#11 implementation to use to talk to a smartcard, say --
that's quite fair.  For OTPs this may be different because perhaps
there's no standard API to access hardware OTPs (again, please excuse
my ignorance).

Nico