Proposed platform assumption changes

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 31 17:28:10 EST 2012

On Jan 27, 2012, at 18:55, ghudson at MIT.EDU wrote:
> I'd like to propose some changes to the platform assumptions we make
> for the krb5 code base.  In short:
>
> * Assume POSIX signal support
> * Assume IPv6 support
> * Assume C99 variadic macro support

All look good (and overdue) to me.

> * Assume threading support (POSIX or Windows)

This opens up the option of eventually shipping (unconditionally) multithreaded programs, if desired.  (Test programs for multithreaded performance, built unconditionally, if nothing else.)

> * Assume mutex unlocking can't fail
> * Assume mutex locking can't fail

I'd suggest wrapping the calls in assert() rather than completely ignoring the low-level return values, but yeah, the main Kerberos library code probably doesn't need to be checking all those return values.

Ken