Proposed platform assumption changes

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Jan 30 11:20:06 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:
> I would not recommend  mingw for KFW builds.
>
> I might come to recommend automake and libtool as a Windows build
> strategy using msvc as a compiler by the 1.13 time frame.  However for
> something intended to be used by a lot of Windows native applications,
> I'd feel uncomfortable depending on mingw.  My areas of nervousness
> include debugability, interactions with code signing and manifest
> generation as well as interactions with Windows exception handling.

I believe Windows builds need to support MSVC.  If someone did the
work of showing that it is possible to isolate struct initializers to
source files that can be compiled with mingw and linked with the
remainder that is compiled with MSVC, and that the whole just works,
well, I'd be OK -ecstatic- with that.

Nico