Moving everything in src/ up a level

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 20 02:21:07 EST 2012

On Feb 16, 2012, at 17:08, Greg Hudson wrote:
> After some experimentation with git and some IRC discussion, I'm pulling
> a 180.  For some operations, git can follow renames fairly
> transparently, I think, but for some other basic ones, like "git log
> directoryname", it can't.  (And even for "git log filename", it doesn't
> by default.)

Using "git log --follow" doesn't seem like that big a deal for me, nor do I worry much about tracing the history of a whole directory vs individual files, and the docs suggest that "git blame" should still work, but I guess it could be mildly annoying.

> Instead, I think we can just have a src/doc/Makefile.in which pulls
> source files from $(top_srcdir)/../doc instead of from $(srcdir).

Or: Move everything into src/ rather than moving src/* up, and just pack up the contents of src in the distribution.  If/when git starts handling mass renames better, move everything up to the top level to make the repository prettier.  True, you'd still have the history problems for the doc files, but does anyone care that much about the ease of tracing the mostly-ancient history of a handful of doc files, compared with tracing old changes in code?

Ken