Proposed platform assumption changes

Chris Hecker checker at d6.com
Wed Feb 1 02:31:23 EST 2012

> I think Sam's right: There are certain requirements for the libraries
> we produce, but that doesn't necessarily imply that MSVC has to be
> useable for building them.  It's probably time to reevaluate the
> options again.

I find it surprising that a lot of people chiming in are so willing to
give up the currently working build support for one of the (admittedly
sadly) most used compilers in the world in exchange for pretty minor
syntactic sugar.  Seems crazy to me, but I guess I'm biased as one of
the (apparently) few windows developers who builds krb5 instead of just
links to prebuilt binaries.  However, even if I did just link to it,
I've found (and reported) a bunch of minor bugs, and so fixing those
locally with the proposed mingw way to get designated initializers would
require a completely different toolchain.  Just doesn't seem worth it
for this minor of a win.

Chris