The krb5 source repository is migrating to Git

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Sat Apr 28 16:07:09 EDT 2012

On 04/28/2012 02:03 PM, Mantas M. wrote:
> It might be useful to consider reposurgeon, which has been written
> specifically for mass-modification of repositories, and has been used
> for Git imports <http://www.catb.org/~esr/reposurgeon/>:

I did look at reposurgeon for a bit while doing research for the
conversion, and even contributed a few patches upstream, but ultimately
didn't find a use for it.  We'll be doing the conversion with git-svn, a
little bit of git-filter-branch, and some custom Python code.

I should edit the wiki page to note that I decided against hand-editing
old commit messages on principal, rather than for lack of a good tool.
There are too many of them to make much headway, and it doesn't feel
right to hand-edit other people's words and leave their names on the result.

(We will still automatically edit log messages to put RT headers at the
end, use "subject:" RT headers as git summary lines, and trim final
periods off the end of existing summary lines.  This should help a fair
amount, especially for work done in the last 6-12 months.)