Use keytab to select etypes in krb5_get_init_creds_keytab()

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 15 19:17:39 EDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 03:51 PM, Stef Walter wrote:
> The attached patch fixes the issue. If the
> krb5_get_init_creds_opt_set_etype_list() has not been called on the
> option context passed to krb5_get_init_creds_keytab() then the keytab is
> enumerated for the enctypes that are available for the given principal.
> The patch sorts the enctypes so 'weak' ones come last.

I do want this feature, but I have a few concerns about the patch:

1. This doesn't work with krb5_init_creds_set_keytab().
2. qsort() isn't a stable sort, so the resulting order of enctypes is
unpredictable.
3. This patch could introduce enctypes not present in default_tkt_enctypes.
4. This patch could result in requesting weak enctypes when
allow_weak_enctypes is false.

Heimdal's approach doesn't have problems (1) or (2) but I think does
have problem (3), and would have problem (4) except that Heimdal pushes
allow_weak_enctypes down into the crypto layer.  I think what I would
like to see is:

1. Make krb5_get_init_creds_keytab use krb5_init_creds_init and
krb5_init_creds_set_keytab.  This will require some care because of the
use_master fallback.

2. In krb5_init_creds_set_keytab, make a temporary list of the etypes
present in the keytab (for the client principal) and then filter the
current ctx->request->ktype list for membership in etypes, without
changing the order.