suggestion for locating master kdc logic

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Mon Apr 9 20:14:48 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 05:06:42PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I guess I'd be fine with a realm-level fallback parameter that defaulted
> to the current MIT behavior and that Solaris could patch to on instead
> of off.

Sounds reasonable to me.

> I think you won't be able to completely avoid patches while taking code
> from a project that has a different set of stability guarantees than
> your code base.  Nor do I believe that adopting solaris's stability
> guarantees would improve MIT Kerberos.
> I think that balancing things so that you patch a default from off to on
> reduces your patch size over say maintaining the fallback completely in
> Solaris.

Yes, I think that MIT should have a consistent implementation strategy
when changing a default behavior of either providing a compile time
switch or config option that would allow one to choose which behavior
was the default.  I know this has been done in some cases but not in all
cases (like this one).

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle Solaris Software Engineer