suggestion for locating master kdc logic

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Mon Apr 9 15:44:39 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 09:34:14AM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:
> > So, whether it makes sense to go to a master KDC is a property of a
> > realm.
>
> Yes.  Fallback to master for initial authentication should definitely
> be a separate parameter, regardless of whether a mater/admin/kpasswd
> server(s) is(are) specified.

If my proposed realm config parameter try_admin_server_on_err (or
whatever it should be named) is implemented then the admin would have
complete control over the fall-back behavior.  Note the following
examples are for a client sending initial auth request to a KDC:

# By default would fall back to try admin_server (using default KDC
# port) if receiving an invalid password or princ not found error from
# kdc1.

FOO.COM = {
    kdc = kdc1.foo.com
    admin_server = kdc3.foo.com
}

# Would immediately fail on receiving an invalid password or princ not
# found error from kdc1.

FOO.COM = {
    kdc = kdc1.foo.com
    try_admin_server_on_err = false
    admin_server = kdc3.foo.com
}

# Would fall back to trying master_kdc using port 45001 on receiving an
# invalid password or princ not found error from kdc1.  admin_server
# would never be used for fall back for the error condition described
# above.

FOO.COM = {
    kdc = kdc1.foo.com:45001
    master_kdc = kdc2.foo.com:45001