suggestion for locating master kdc logic

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Sat Apr 7 15:51:39 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 10:03:19AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Will> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 04:45:08PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     >> Looking for kpasswd_server is a bad idea because of AD.  In
>     >> practice it doubles the number of account lockout attempts when
>     >> you give a bad password.
>
>     Will> I forgot about the account lockout issue however it seems like
>     Will> that issue also applies to trying admin_server in an
>     Will> environment where KDCs are enforcing account lockout policies.
>     Will> In either case, setting my proposed try_admin_server_on_err
>     Will> (or whatever it should be called) to false would limit fall
>     Will> back to just master_kdc, if it existed.
>
> I am opposed to this change.  I'm particularly opposed to a version of
> the change that considers kpasswd_server.

That's fine, let's take kpasswd_server off the table.  In another e-mail
I wrote up my reasoning stating (tweaked for clarity):

"Mulling this over more, given this (the master_kdc change) is a change
 to previously default behavior that some may be relying on to deal with
 KDB propagation delay, I think the thing to do is introduce a new
 config parameter that allows the admin to change the default behavior
 so that admin_server is not used as a fall back when a krb error
 message is returned for a AS/TGS_REQ.  Then those that found the
 default behavior objectionable could change it."

Are you opposed solely because because of AD account lock out?

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle Solaris Software Engineer