NSS for PKINIT, in-progress patches available, feedback sought

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 13 01:13:23 EDT 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:36 AM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

> The build machinery patch also adds recognition of "NSS:" identity
> types, to allow NSS databases to be used, though as that also implicitly
> adds CA certificates in the database to the set of trusted CAs, which
> can surprise people who are used to the way it works now, that might
> have to be dropped.

A lot of hard-core PKI types don't understand this, but the set of CAs which you trust to verify log-in-able certificates (e.g. for PKINIT) is unlikely to be the same as the ones canned into your browser.  To give you a specific example:  the NASA CA is under the US Treasury, which is not trusted by any OS or browser AFAIK.  OTOH the mainland Chinese CA (CNNIC) *is* trusted by everyone.

Do I need to explain why that might make sense to the CAB Forum, but not for my PKINIT deployment?  Who you allow as a trust anchor is application and LoA dependent.

If I understand what you're saying, then I don't think you did anything wrong.  There needs to be some clear documentation of the side effects of referencing a database and a recommendation that you strictly limit the allowed trust anchors everywhere.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu