Extensible kadm5 policies

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Oct 31 17:47:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Tom Yu <tlyu at mit.edu> wrote:
> Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> writes:
>> I must say that I'm not too upset by the idea of adding a new kadm5
>> API version and doign more type overloading *in MIT krb5*.  It would
>> never happen in Heimdal, but we can break kadm5 ABI there, so that's
>> not a big deal.  But for the db2 backend I'd still propose
>> policies-as-principals just so we can get policy iprop.
>
> We make far weaker stability assurances for the admin API than we do
> for the krb5 API.  Where I do want to try to maintain backward
> compatibility is in the protocol.

A lot of people make use of the kadm5srv API.  Breaking them (us) will
annoy them (us).  But I guess it's OK.

I'd need a *lot* more guidance if what you want is a brand new API.  I
may also simply not implement it if it would be too much work, and we
may simply continue with our current hack (of embedding additional
policy information in the policy name).

Nico