relicensing proposal

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 3 12:43:16 EDT 2011

I am proposing that we relicense our source code and documentation for
reasons detailed below.  This proposal has received positive feedback
from our sponsors.  Please provide feedback, particularly if you would
adversely affected by this proposal.  I have not yet consulted our
lawyers about this proposal; this is not legal advice; interpretations
are my personal opinions and might not reflect MIT policy, etc.

The essence of the relicensing proposal is:

  * Source code to 3-clause or 2-clause BSD.

  * Documentation to CC-BY-SA-3.0 or CC-BY-3.0.  (maybe including
    Fedora-like modifications; see below)

We would probably implement documentation relicensing first, because
it would be easier, and it would take advantage of our ongoing work of
consolidating documentation into a common format.

In an effort to cut down on license proliferation, and for various
other reasons, I am proposing that we relicense the collective work
that is the MIT krb5 source code as 3-clause or 2-clause BSD.  We
would also relicense individual source code files for which MIT holds
copyright.  The MIT TLO recommends the BSD license as one of its
preferred open source software licenses.  (We are seeking
clarification as to whether they prefer 3-clause or 2-clause.)

We would relicense our documentation under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or CC-BY 3.0.
Some of our existing documentation (the Texinfo-based documentation)
is (somewhat surprisingly) under a strong copyleft, i.e., it requires
that any modified versions only be licensed under exactly the same
terms.  (see the license extract at the end of this message)

I do not know whether there is a strong consensus about applying
copyleft to our documentation (as opposed to the software, where we
have a long history of allowing proprietary derivatives).  One
advantage of using CC-BY-SA instead of the more permissive CC-BY is
that CC-BY-SA would allow us to more easily incorporate content from
resources that are licensed under CC-BY-SA, such as Wikipedia.

There are some concerns that CC-BY-SA 3.0 (and possibly CC-BY 3.0) are
incompatible with the GPL; we may need to do further research about
this issue.  I observe that the Default Content License of the Fedora
Project Contributor Agreement (see URL at end of this message)
consists of CC-BY-SA 3.0 along with a grant of GPL relicensing
permission and a waiver of the CC-BY-SA moral rights clause, perhaps
to forestall this issue.  Does anyone feel that the Fedora approach is
worth the additional complexity that it involves?

The existing license for our collective source code distribution (see
extract at end of this message) has some unusual qualities that have
caused confusion in the past.  For example, some readers have
interpreted the export law warning as a condition of the license,
which they then interpret to be incompatible with the GPL.  I believe
it's important that our software remain unambiguously GPL-compatible,
and applying a "modified" (i.e., sans advertising clause) BSD license
is one way to do that.  Additionally, the license text differs from
most of the variants of the "MIT License" identified as such elsewhere
on the Web.  (It is closest in wording to the license that MIT applied
to other software developed as part of Project Athena, while the
version that most commentators identify as the "MIT License" is closer
to the X Consortium license.