GSSAPI Proxy initiative

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 17:26:10 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,
you are all CCed because you either expressed interested, are already
involved with or may be affected/interested in this initiative.

At the recent MIT Kerberos Conference there has been some renewed
interested in a concept that has surfaced in GSSAPI related circles a
few times. That of building a GSSAPI Proxy to allow separation of
privileges between applications and key handling.

There are various stakeholders that would like to have a solution in
this areas for various reasons:

== Privilege separation ==

One of the needs that GSSAPI Proxy is able to address is separation of
privileges. Initiating/accepting is delegated to the GSSAPI Proxy so
that applications do not have direct access to the key material. This
helps to avoid exposing keys when network facing applications are
compromised. On some OSs Mandatory Access Control will help keep those
keys secure if they are not directly accessible to the applications.

== Kernel Network File Systems ==

There are a number of file systems implemented in kernel and especially
NFS that uses gss-krb5 to negotiate security over the network.

Most implementations use a gssd daemon in user space to handle
accepting/initiating. In particular in the Linux kernel a few people
feel that the current implementation is sub-optimal and would like to
improve it. The functionality needed by the kernel is pretty similar to
that needed to proxy gssapi for other apps, so it seem like a good idea
to unify these implementations, or at least use a common protocol so
that the same implementation can be used if OS vendors/Integrators want
to do so.

== PAC/PAD verification ==

When using Kerberos applications can receive tickets that contain a
MS-PAC or (in future) a PAD*.
In some scenarios we want to use the PAC to synthesize a user on the
target system so that it can create and access files and other
resources. A PAC/PAD is very useful for file servers for example because
it can standardize how identities are retrieved w/o forcing file server
developers to mess with protocols like LDAP and other amenities.

These structures are signed with service keys, the same keys apps have
currently access to. If key material is left accessible to apps it means
a compromised application could create a PAC/PAD to attempt privilege
escalation by injecting this data in the system.

Although these structures are also signed with a KDC key, it would be
very expensive to require a roundtrip to the KDC to ask for
verification. It would also make the server reliant on KDC availability
which is normally not required for kerberos based auth after the ticket
is acquired.

== SSH credential forwarding ? ==

Currently, when using GSSAPI in conjunction with SSH, credentials are
made available to the remote end by simply copying them over and thus
giving the remote host direct access to the user creds. Quite a few
people would prefer to use a ssh-agent like approach instead where
credentials stay always on the local machine and context establishment
is proxied over the ssh channel. Although this initiative will *not*
address this feature, we'd like to build the protocol in such a way that
it will become easy to implement this mechanism in the future.

==== Current status ====

I am trying to push this initiative and I am organizing and contacting
people to enter the planning phase. I have received initial availability
from some stakeholders in helping to shape this initiative from protocol
design to transport/interface (esp. against the kernel) design,
implementation, testing, etc..

Because there are many parties involved I would like to try to keep this
discussion focused as much as possible to the proxy functionality.

I see this effort involving mainly 3 areas at this stage.

1) design of the protocol

        I this area I had some preliminary discussion with some of the
        people that are interested in the effort. Due to availability in
        both kernel and user space implementation is seem like an
        ONC/RPC - XDR based protocol is the best common denominator and
        easily implementable by all parties.
        Nothing is set in stone yet, any idea is welcome.

2) kernel and user space interfaces to the GSSAPI Proxy Daemon

        For user-space to user-space communication is seem clear that a
        unix socket is probably the more natural transport to use.

        From the Linux kernel side deciding on the right upcall
        mechanism seem not as straight forward. One option seem to be
        the netlink or rather the connector interface that is layered on
        top of it. More discussion is definitely needed on this front.

3) Changes to libgssapi to implement transparent proxying for user space
applications

        Some high level ideas have been floating around on where to hook
        this proxy layer in libgssapi but it is all in the air for now.
        Ideas here are very welcome.

Additional areas involve the design of the daemon in terms of
scalability, access control and various security considerations,
portability (?), etc...

Any feedback is welcome esp. if you have valuable ideas on the design
issues.
We will probably keep cross-posting a bit so that we can involve all
possible stakeholders, going forward we'll find a way to refocus
discussions around a few forums depending on what part of the problem
people is working on.
If you know other people/lists that should be involved, please feel free
to forward and include them in the discussion.

Regards,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York