mechglue debugging

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Tue Mar 22 00:40:18 EDT 2011

On 22/03/2011, at 1:32 AM, Greg Hudson wrote:

>>    Luke> The mechglue could really do with some debug statements for
>>    Luke> when mechanism plugins do not load. What's the right way to do
>>    Luke> logging from within a library? I basically plan to just
>>    Luke> uncomment the existing syslog() calls, but obviously there's a
>>    Luke> more appropriate way otherwise they wouldn't be commented out.
>>
>> Take a look at src/include/k5-trace.h
>
> That framework requires a krb5 context (so it can turn off tracing for
> secure contexts, and so it can allow app control of tracing).  Not so
> useful for the mechglue in its current form.

krb5 context is not a problem (if not ideal), but it does appear to require tracing be explicitly enabled on the context, which is not very useful if the caller does not have a way to access the context.

For now, I'm inclined to put fprintf statements in. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can think of, and it is an exceptional condition that can only arise from a misconfigured /etc/gss/mech.

-- Luke