RFC: libverto nearing release

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 30 23:05:14 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 16:12 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> I added a link to the main page, here you can find all the git URLs
> supported:
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=libverto.git

Thanks.

> Sorry Greg but this is my fault, I asked Nathaniel not to typedef stuff
> because I personally find it hinders readability, for API users,
> especially for pointers.

I don't want to press this point; it's mostly about the expectations one
has developed about C, and there are reasonable arguments on both sides.
If we can compromise on structure typedefs, I'll be happy.

> > 4. The documentation of verto_new(NULL) exposes more of the
> > implementation than I think is really wise; in particular, promising to
> > try to figure out what event libraries you're linked to seems
> > over-generous.
>
> It's necessary, you want to use an event library the calling application
> is already linked to by default.

It seems dangerous to promise that a library can create a private event
loop that will use the same implementation as the application's event
loop, even when the application is not aware of libverto.  This seems
difficult to deliver because:

1. Testing whether you're linked to a particular library seems
questionably portable.

2. The application may be using an event loop which libverto isn't aware
of.

3. The application may be using a private event loop implementation
which libverto can't possibly be aware of.

If the application is aware of libverto, it can use verto_set_default()
(although I'm not sure whether the current interface allows an
application to set the default to a private event loop implementation;
I'd have to check that).