RFC: libverto nearing release

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 11:31:10 EDT 2011

As part of the project to move the kdc to an asynchronous main loop
model, I have been working on a library called libverto which will
hopefully provide a stable API that can be exposed in the kerberos
public API (at some point at least) which will allow applications
linking against libkrb5 to perform asynchronous operations which are
tied to their own main loop.  This has been implemented according to the
design discussed both in person and on the krb weekly call.

The purpose of this email is to let everyone know that libverto is
nearing its first release (hopefully today) and I would like to request
feedback. The project is hosted here: https://fedorahosted.org/libverto/

There are a few known issues. The most important is that libverto has
only been tested on Fedora and there will likely be some (hopefully only
minor) issues on other platforms.  If you encounter any such issues,
please let me know. There is also one known upstream bug in tevent that
makes the write unit test fail on the tevent module. I am working to get
this resolved. Lastly, the website documentation is sorely lacking. I am
working on this today.

libverto currently supports glib, libev, libevent and tevent out of the
box. I've heard rumors that someone may contribute a Grand Central
Dispatch module. Also, applications can integrate their own home-grown
event loops. File descriptors and timeout are supported on all modules.
Signals are supported on all modules except glib < 2.29. Idle and child
are currently not supported on libevent and tevent, though we may be
adding support for these to tevent in the future.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, comments and patches.

Nathaniel