Asynchronous operation and krb5 dependencies

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 6 10:17:54 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 06:46 -0400, Nico Williams wrote:
> (Well, but then, how do you deal with APIs like the GSS-API where
> there's no obvious way to reference any particular context due to the
> lack of a krb5_context-like argument?)

For the purposes of libkrb5, we're taking the view that an application
will only need one main loop implementation.  (It may need multiple
instances of the main loop, but we're not trying to support an
application which uses libevent in one thread and g_main_* in another.)
So, when the application provides its vtable to libverto, that will get
stored in global process state and used for all async operations--no
need for a context.

I don't know if that will be acceptable for GSSAPI, since we don't
control it.  If GSSAPI goes in a different direction--say, providing the
async vtable to every async call--that's fine; we'll just invoke the
specified async functions from libgssapi_krb5 in preference to libverto.