RFC: libverto nearing release

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu Jul 7 18:15:26 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/07/2011 11:43 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
>>> c) this *might* work, but it assumes that the handlers are in a sane
>> Why not?  It's just something modules must do.  To be portable signal
>> handlers must only have global state, so you make sure that the
>> associated global state is sane at all times.  Hardly problematic.
>
> You can never be sure about those who "must" do something "would"
> actually do what they "must".
> Adding safeguards is a prudent approach.

Let's drop this sub-thread.  I've convinced myself that it will be
possible to use libverto safely, though with much care to ensure that
libverto is *only* used in new interfaces, which implies that async
interfaces need to be implemented up and down the stack in the case of
layered software (think of libldap using sasl/gss where libgss and/or
mechanisms want to use libverto).  Or one must accept the subtle
incompatibility implied by using libverto in existing interfaces --
Nathaniel commits to fixing libverto if such a case arises anyways.

On the whole, it's not a bad idea to at least try to get everyone to
use signals through a single library.

Nico