: Why are we using libverto again

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 7 10:44:23 EDT 2011

So, as far as I can tell dladdr is a glibc extension.  So, we cannot
even guarantee it's present on Unix platforms.

I'm very concerned about the portability impact of this many shared
library tricks.  Without win32 portability we can never use this in
libkrb5.  So, it's only valuable for the KDC.

Now, for the KDC today, we could just use a specific event library and
gain significant complexity savings.

I'm quite concerned that the complexity of libverto is too great to
depend on just for simplifying a future libkdc.

This is particulary true because several of the uses of libkdc such as
pku2u or some of the eap preauth cases would strongly benefit from
porting to Windows.

I think we need to take a step back and carefully consider whether this
direction makes sense.