prevalence of "right" time zones without timegm()?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 6 22:11:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 23:03 -0700, Dave Daugherty wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I am one of the people who brought up this issue.  Our customer solved the problem by configuring for standard time zone, hence the urgency was greatly reduced to implement a code fix - so it got pushed to the back of the to-do list.
>
> We support over 200 different variants of Unix with 1000's of installations and have only run across this problem once so far.
>
> I am pretty sure the Centos version our customer was using already supports timegm.  I am having our OEM customer confirm this, and anyway it could be installed if necessary.  I have not tested timgem on any system to confirm that it includes the leap seconds if gmtime does.

This does really happen in the real world, and is a nightmare to track
down (I spent hours on it).  We (Samba Team) found it out via Heimdal,
and Fedora 13 or 14 (current as of 2010-09) systems in Seattle time zone
(while at a Microsoft interop :-)

The eventual solution was that Heimdal implements both directions of the
gmtime() and timegm() manually, without regard to the leap second
database.  From our experience I strongly recommend MIT chooses to do
the same.

Andrew Bartlett