kvno overflow

Jonathan Reams jr3074 at columbia.edu
Mon Jan 31 15:11:59 EST 2011

It looks like there's a difference between how kvnos are handled in keytabs vs the principals database/kadmin. In order to monitor our iprop setup, we have a principal who's key gets added to a keytab once an hour, and when the kvno hit 257, it reset to 0 in the keytab, but not in kadmin.

[root at doversole ~]# klist -k
Keytab name: FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab
KVNO Principal
---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   0 iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
   0 iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
   0 iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
   0 iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU

[root at doversole ~]# kadmin -p rjr3074
Authenticating as principal rjr3074 with password.
Password for rjr3074 at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU:
kadmin:  getprinc iprop_monitor
Principal: iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Expiration date: [never]
Last password change: Mon Jan 31 12:01:01 EST 2011
Password expiration date: [none]
Maximum ticket life: 0 days 10:00:00
Maximum renewable life: 7 days 00:00:00
Last modified: Mon Jan 31 12:01:01 EST 2011 (iprop_monitor at CC.COLUMBIA.EDU)
Last successful authentication: [never]
Last failed authentication: [never]
Failed password attempts: 0
Number of keys: 4
Key: vno 257, AES-256 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC, no salt
Key: vno 257, AES-128 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC, no salt
Key: vno 257, ArcFour with HMAC/md5, no salt
Key: vno 257, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt

Looks like a bug to me. In the meantime, is there any way to reset the kvno in kadmin so the keytab and kadmin can be in sync again?

Jonathan Reams
Columbia University