Proposed libverto integration plan

Nathaniel McCallum npmccallum at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 09:19:42 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 17:07 -0400, ghudson at MIT.EDU wrote:
> * In theory, a system could have libverto but no suitable backing
>   module.  We either need to ignore this case as too rare to worry
>   about (if it does happen, we build a KDC which will fail gracefully
>   at startup) or detect it at configure time by compiling and running
>   a program against the system libverto.

My patch already detects this case and fails gracefully with a log
message. I assume it will be only packagers that will build with a
system libverto. In the libverto RPM I've built, there is a
libverto-modules-base virtual dependency which will ensure the "base"
set of features: io, timeout and signals. All the packager (I'm pretty
sure it will be me for Fedora) has to do is make sure that the kdc
depends on libverto-modules-base.

The other possibility is to depend on libev directly, by linking against
libverto-libev.so and calling verto_default_libev() (in verto-libev.h).
In this case most distros will simply handle the dependency like any
other linked library. I prefer the first method however...

Nathaniel