Windows future

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Thu Sep 30 12:40:22 EDT 2010

On 9/30/2010 9:55 AM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> IMHO, at the end of the day if the Kerberos user community wants
> to see an on-going development of KfW as a true open-source project
> then folks will need to contribute dev cycles and/or resources.
> By that I mean cycles on Windows development for KfW.
>
>>> Secure Endpoints believes that it could bring KFW current in about four
>>> calendar months with a better than full time effort.  However, it would
>>> all be for naught if the Consortium didn't have its own in-house
>>> resource to maintain the code going forward and perform interop testing
>>> with future Microsoft releases while they are in early beta.  We
>>> estimate the cost of development and maintenance would be approximately
>>> $280,000 for the first year with an on-going cost of $120,000 for each
>>> subsequent year.  This is assuming that the efforts Secure Endpoints has
>>> already put into KFW and NIM are accepted as a starting point.
>
> I personally do not think MIT, the MIT-KC board and Members would
> like to see us spend the amount of money that Secure Endpoints is asking for
> on a single vendor.
>
> /thomas/

Thomas:

You misinterpreted what I wrote.  We estimated the resources that the
Consortium would require to restart and sustain an on-going Windows
development effort (with or without our help).  We can produce such
estimates because we understand the needs of the user community, the
costs of the relevant expertise, and have spoken for years about what
needs to be accomplished.  If you believe our estimates are incorrect,
it would do the Consortium well to present a plan to the community and
explain the resources that would be required to execute it.

Jeffrey Altman