2008 R2

Bill Fellows wrfellows at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 13:51:44 EDT 2010

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

According to the information I've gotten from Microsoft, the 2008 SP2 does not apply to 2008 R2. Also the hotfix you mentioned doesn't apply to 2008 R2.

We got this response from Microsoft technical support:

"I have received an update from my SME on the data which has been provided to us. The problem is the name-type used for the TGT request is set to Unknown:

133         2010-08-26 17:15:17.284157         x.x.x.x
x.x.x.x     KRB5      AS-REQ
Server Name (Unknown): krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM
Name-type: Unknown (0)
Name: krbtgt
Name: EXAMPLE.COM

The name-type needs to be Service and Instance.  The reason why it works against the Writable DCs is because those DCs dont need to proxy the authentication, RODCs do.  In W2K8R2 there were additional checks in the Kerberos decryption code path which now exposes this problem."

I've attached a network capture displaying this problem.

Thanks again,
Bill Fellows