random to key from password

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 27 18:22:16 EDT 2010

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at oracle.com> writes:

> The main benefit of radomized passwords over randomized keys is better
> synchronization/interop with AD.  It's not that big a deal to me -- I've
> never needed the ability to synchronize service principals' passwords.

I've never needed that ability either, but I have needed the ability to
randomize a user's password and have that change reflected in AD.  Heimdal
provides that capability (with the kadmin plugin); MIT currently does not
without using an external tool to generate a random password and then
doing a more traditional password change using that generated password.