standardizing copyright/license notice delimiters in MIT source files.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 16:06:48 EDT 2010

Will Fiveash <will.fiveash at oracle.com> writes:

> In that past that would have been good enough but I've been told we need
> to list the source files along with their associated copyright/license,
> hence my proposal.

While mechanised extraction from source files may be the way to go, and
definitely has some advantages, you may want to instead consider rewriting
the main collected license file in a more structured form that expresses
that information.

The Debian project has been working on this, and I've been pushing that
work towards being useful outside of Debian as well, since I plan on using
the same format for my LICENSE files.  You can see the current proposal
at:

    http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

The standard is still somewhat in flux, but is already in fairly
widespread use in Debian.