Project Review: kinit -C

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 17 11:34:27 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 11:11 -0400, John Hascall wrote:
> > Feel free to take a look at kdc/main.c and lib/apputils/net-server.c and
> > decide where you'd put the if statement here or there. :)  I don't think
> > it's impossible, but what we have right now is already kind of an
> > octopus.
>
>   Sound like a re-factor might be in order :)

The preprocessor chicken-scratch could be contained a bit better, but
really, it's factored reasonably well.  The problem is the inherent
complexity of:

  * Sharing code between KDC and kadmind
  * TCP, UDP, and (for kadmind) RPC
  * IPv4 and IPv6
  * pktinfo or separate per-interface UDP listeners (frequently pktinfo
for IPv6 and per-interface listeners for IPv4)
  * The non-portability of iterating over network interface addresses
  * The non-portability of listening for routing socket updates

And then on the KDC side, separate port specifications per realm.