Platform survey of pktinfo support

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Wed Sep 15 18:03:12 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:27:55PM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> I'm interested in finding out what Unix-like platforms and versions
> have support for IPv4 and IPv6 pktinfo extensions.  You can help by
> compiling and running this small C program and sending me the results.
>
> Modern versions of Linux distributions aren't all that interesting
> since they're all based on similar versions of the kernel which has
> pktinfo support.  Older versions of Linux distributions are
> interesting, as are non-Linux platforms.
>
> Also, for the Oracle people: Solaris 10 doesn't appear to define
> IP_PKTINFO.  Does it have any form of IPv4 pktinfo support?  If not,
> do more recent versions have it?

Solaris 10 Update 5 has it as well as the publicly released OpenSolaris.

Here is the output of your program on an internal release of Solaris
that I run on my workstation:

$ ./pktinfo
SunOS 5.11 snv_147
IPV6_RECVPKTINFO defined
IPV6_PKTINFO defined
IP_RECVPKTINFO defined
IP_PKTINFO defined

The other releases of Solaris that I mentioned should produce similar
results.

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle