Project Review: kinit -C

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 15 10:51:55 EDT 2010

    Nicolas> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 04:00:24PM +0200, Luke Howard wrote:
    >> > Now, that's my personal analysis.  If someone looks at the
    >> situation and > concludes that these sorts of dependencies would
    >> be a problem for them, > I think we should solve that.  So far,
    >> as I've been reading the > discussions, we've had a couple of
    >> people say that it might be a > problem, and a couple of others
    >> describe the issue and note that it is a > change.
    >>
    >> I'm not really a distribution-packager so to be honest I have no
    >> valuable opinion on this.

    Nicolas> I don't think moving libs from a KDC pkg to a client pkg is
    Nicolas> that big a deal for distro builders.  Just one more thing
    Nicolas> to explain to zealous minimizers.

Well, I do think it would be an issue for something like Android, or for
something that is hard embeded.  However those tend not to ship our
kinit at all.

Not surprisingly it does end up being reasonably easy to build two
different versions of kinit.  One gets a stub that prints an error if
you use this option.  One gets the real function.  Still, I'd like to
wait for one of the Os distributors (either now or in the future) to
come forward and say they need that before doing it.

--Sam