Project Review: kinit -C

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Sep 14 16:39:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:54:35 -0400
Sam Hartman <hartmans at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>     Tom> Sam Hartman <hartmans at MIT.EDU> writes:
>     >> As a result, kinit will link against libkdb5 and libkadm5srv.
>
>     Tom> I would prefer that this be a build-time option, so that
>     Tom> software packagers have more flexibility about whether the
>     Tom> kinit binary needs to have the KDC libraries installed.
>     Tom> Alternatively, build two versions, kinit and kinit.local,
>     Tom> only the latter of which depends on the KDC libraries.
>
> I'd like to push back on this and ask for someone to step forward and
> say that's a problem for their packaging first before we make the
> change.

Unless you want to force people to install libkdb5 and libkadm5srv on
every client it looks like it is going to be an issue. That is, unless
you explicitly dlopen() these libraries therefore not making them a
strong dependency and breaking only the impersonation functionality if
they are not available.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York