Project Review: kinit -C

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 14 15:54:33 EDT 2010

    >> The administrator of a Kerberos database has access to all user
    >> keys within that database. This is sufficient to impersonate any
    >> user.  Today, no convenient user interface is provided for
    >> logging in as a given user without changing that user's
    >> passowrd. This project proposes to add a -c (cheat) option to
    >> kinit. If this option is supplied, then the key will be extracted
    >> from the database rather than prompting for a password. This
    >> option requires that kinit be run on a KDC with read access to
    >> the Kerberos database and stash file.

    Luke> Um, can't we use S4U2Self for this? Or am I missing something
    Luke> very obvious?

Are s4u2self tickets marked as such?

The use cases for this are things like an administrator impersonating a
user in order to respond to legal actions, or because someone is sick
and their files need to be accessed.  So, you want eexplicitly the same
authorizations as a user, etc.
how much work would it be in the current s4u2self code to pull this off?